CATEGORY: Aromatic herbs
Oregano is a herb used in cooking and medicine. Scientists from Germany and Switzerland have identified an active ingredient in oregano, known as beta-caryophyllin (E-BCP) which helps in osteoporosis and atherosclerosis. One teaspoon dried oregano contains: Calcium 29mg, Iron 0.66mg, Magnesium 5g, Potassium 23mg, Vitamin E 0.33mg, Vitamin K 11.2mcg.
Greek oregano is a perennial plant and its quality is considered one of the best in the world.
- It has many medicinal properties with the main active ingredient carbacrol
- It is anti-diarrheal, anti-inflammatory and bactericidal
- In the form of infusion, it is used for intestinal atrophy, expectorant for cough, aids hypertension and atherosclerosis
- Its essential oil is used inter alia for toothache
- It helps in chronic rheumatism
Keep away from children as eating oregano can cause stomach upsets if consumed in large quantities.